Skip to main content

Finale: She Believed She Could but She Didn't Because It Wasn't Accessible

 




Now, I am entering my senior year of college. After obtaining my driver’s license, it seemed like everything started falling into place! Once my family and I started reaching out to insurance companies inquiring about insurance policies, Voc Rehab told us that the required insurance was not the same as typical insurance. I couldn’t just be added onto my parents’ current policy. The policy had to be broken down and itemized to show that it would cover the $50,000 worth of modifications. Noone had ever explained this to us, this was another obstacle in my driving journey.

I reached out a friend from high school, Aliyah, who worked at a local State Farm Insurance company. I explained to her what I needed and what Voc Rehab was asking for. It took a few weeks, but she was able to provide the coverage and itemized breakdown showing the policy covering the modifications. She was able to get me exactly what I needed to move forward with the process.

Once I was approved for the loan and the insurance was handled, everything sped up! Voc Rehab sent over the written results of my driver’s evaluation from the Shepherd Center. This evaluation detailed the specific modifications I would need for the vehicle, outside of the ramp. There were two options for operating the gas and brakes. One option was to have the regular gas and brakes, that were operated by my legs. The other option was hand controls, where there was a knob, attached to a rod, that was connected to the gas and brakes. I decided on hand controls so that my legs wouldn’t tire out quickly and I could still drive if my legs were hurting.

 We traveled back and forth to the car dealership in Athens several times to ensure that the modifications that they were installing were accommodating and comfortable for me. On February 21st, 2018, I signed for my vehicle and drove it off the lot! That was the happiest day of my life. As I was signing the papers, every roadblock and disappointing moment ran through my mind. It was such a surreal moment for me and my family. I knew what I wanted and didn’t stop fighting until I got it.

They say hindsight is 20/20, right? As I sit her and wrap this up, I can’t help but be grateful for this entire journey, and every obstacle I faced and overcame. I signed for my car 3 months before graduating college and 5 months before I got my job. There is no way that I would have been able to maintain my full-time job, without a car. I wanted things to happen when I wanted them to, but God’s timing is truly the best. Everything really fell into place at the perfect timing.

 Through my journey, I felt defeated, frustrated, and disappointed. But I am here to tell you that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and tough times don’t last. I hope reading this has inspired you to keep pushing through whatever tough situation or obstacle you’re facing. If you are currently facing a tough situation, and need help from Grateful Hands, we are here for you!

If you have made it this far, thank you! Click the link below to keep up with all things Grateful Hands. I am truly grateful for the support! 

https://linktr.ee/gratefulhands


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part 2: She Believed She Could but She Didn't Because It Wasn't Accessible

  Some time had passed we went to the DMV to obtain my license. Due to that disappointing experience, I hadn’t done anything else pertaining to getting my license. I was still unsure on where to go from there. I still had the desire and dream to drive and was thrilled with the independence that driving would create for me. While I was approaching my senior year of high school, there was a program at my school offering work-based learning. This program allowed students to attend school part of the day and work the other part. I knew I wanted to participate in the program, but I knew finding a job I could physically do would be sort of difficult. In my job search, I was introduced to an organization, Parents Educating Parents and Professionals, PEPP. PEPP, Inc. The organization is a nonprofit 501c3, that was founded to work on civil rights issues for disability legislation, inclusion in community, the right to work, and educational advocacy for 26 years. I knew that based on its miss

My Wish Bone Story

      Today, May 6th, is recognized all around the world as Wish Bone Day. Wish Bone Day is a day where people come together to bring awareness to a bone condition, Osteogenesis Imperfect. As this day approached, I remembered the traumatic way my parents found out I was diagnosed with this bone condition.       Imagine being a 3-year-old child watching your parents in a panic and being taken away from them. Imagine not fully understanding what was happening around you. All you know is that strangers are taking you from the people you know to be kind, loving, and compassionate. That was me; I was this 3-year-old child. In February 1998, not shortly after my 3rd birthday, my parents were exhausted from being up all night due to my constant crying and nonstop coughing. They assumed it was just a cold and tried everything they knew, but nothing helped. After speaking with my pediatrician, they decided to take me to Scottish Rite emergency room.  Upon arrival, the hospital staff did their r